Harbor Lights Animal Hospital

1710 Virginia Avenue
North Bend, OR 97459

(541)756-5156

harborlightsah.com

Spring  2021

Yea ~  Better weather ahead !  (we live in hope :)

Some tips to keep your 4 legged friends healthy this Spring.

1.  Spring flowers

Cats & dogs like spending time in the garden so watch out for poisonous plants. Toxic species common at this time of year include lilies, daffodils and azaleas. Daffodils can be toxic, particularly the bulbs. But the flower heads can also cause vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. In severe cases this may result in dehydration, tremors and convulsions. These signs can be seen from 15 minutes to one day following ingestion. 

2. Insect stings

Cats & dogs often like to chase and play with wasps and bees and can be stung.  If you suspect a bee sting,  call your Veterinarian right away.  Pets, like humans, can be allergic or become allergic to stings. Signs include swellings, distress and breathing difficulties.

 3. Allergies

Just like people, cats and dogs can develop allergies to plants, pollens, grasses, and many other substances in springtime. Allergies in pets normally appear as itchy skin and ear problems, accompanied by hair loss or inflamed skin. Some pets will even change their behavior due to irritation. Some will suffer respiratory signs or runny eyes.

From Spring to early Summer are when owners are likely to be stocking up on their own anti-histamine medication. These may be toxic to dogs and signs of ingestion include vomiting, lethargy, incoordination, wobbliness and tremors. These typically develop within four to seven hours. Some dogs may also become hyper-excitable. If large amounts of anti-histamine have been eaten convulsions, respiratory depression and coma may occur.  Call you Veterinarian right away.

4.  Chocolate !

Easter candies are great fun,  but can be dangerous for your pet,  especially chocolate.  Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine (a bit like caffeine) that’s poisonous to dogs. The amount of theobromine differs depending on the type of chocolate, with dark chocolate and baking chocolate containing the most.  If you suspect your pet ingested chocolate,  call your Veterinarian right away.

5. Slug & Snail Poison

Make sure your garden is safe for your cat and be careful if you need to use any slug and snail pellets, pesticides or other chemicals. The toxic compound in slug and snail pellets is called metaldehyde. Bear in mind that not all products contain this. However, eating small amounts can cause significant poisoning. Signs will be seen within an hour of ingestion and include incoordination, muscle spasms, twitching, tremors, seizures and even death, if left untreated. Your cat and dog will need urgent veterinary treatment if affected.